On April 5, 2021, Attorney Marie Cheung-Truslow will be presenting with her co-panelists at a webinar on handling first party reference hearings.
Your client’s commercial building or house has been damaged or destroyed by a fire, tornado, water infiltration from a storm, or other event. Or you represent the building owner’s property insurer. The two sides are far apart on their view of the amount of damages. Under state law and Massachusetts property insurance policies, that dispute is resolved by a reference proceeding.
This webinar will discuss:
- The reference proceeding process.
- What does a reference proceeding determine? What does it not determine?
- Vocabulary: What is actual cash value, replacement cost value, and depreciation?
- Trap for the unwary: the contractual limitations period for demanding reference.
- Other deadlines that affect coverage.